Call Now for Emergency Response
Janitorial & Floor Care
Fire Damage Services & Smoke Damage Cleaning Company in York and Gettysburg
We know that fires are devastating and valuables and memories are often the most missed items. The experts at ServiceMaster Restore® work with you to stabilize your home.
After a fire has been extinguished, damage to your home and belongings continue. Many furniture and flooring materials are synthetic; when burned, they generate complex chemical reactions. After only a few days, those items go from cleanable to unsalvageable.
ServiceMaster Restore restoration technicians are experts at understanding the chemical combinations that can effectively clean and save your belongings, thus helping mitigate additional expenses. We can even remove soot from at-risk items, such as:
- Brass, aluminum and chrome
- Marble, tile and porcelain
- Carpets and upholstery
We use the latest equipment and supplies in our five-step fire and smoke restoration process:
- Emergency pre-cleaning
- Content cleaning
- Content packout
- Wall and ceiling cleaning
To keep the damage to a minimum, follow these steps.
What to do:
- Corrosive byproducts can cause irreversible etching in as few as 72 hours. Call for professional help.
- If the temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
- Clean Formica, chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
- Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
- Tape damp cheesecloth over returns and supply registers to capture loose soot in the air.
- Discard any open food packages.
- If the electricity is off, clean out the refrigerator and leave doors propped open.
- Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified restoration dry cleaner.
What not to do:
- Do not touch anything with your bare hands. Oil from your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
- Do not wash walls. Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
- Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
- Do not use electrical appliances until having them checked.
- Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.